Running

Those of you, who know me, know how crazy this is for me...

Today, I am thankful for running...

Actually, I used to hate running.  Sometimes I still do.  

I found runners to be amazing - inspiring - thought that I could never do what they do.  Heck, back then I could not run a mile, if my life depended on it.  

When I started on my quest to become a triathlete about 6 years ago, running was that awful task they put at the end of the race just to mess with me - just to ruin a perfectly nice bike ride. Did I mention that I hate running?  The good thing about triathlon is that, by the time you get to the running part, it's OK to walk.  After all - there is no shame in walking.  

A former boss of mine used to run every day.  One day I wished him a "good run" as he was heading out at lunch.  "Oh," he replied "running is about at much fun as banging your head against the wall. The fun it when you get to stop."  Yup, that's how I felt.  

Before this year, I had completed a few 5K races, and two 10Ks as part of Olympic distance triathlons.  Trust me, there was a lot of walking going on during both of those races. 

I wanted to change that this year - and this year became the year of running for me. 

I signed up as a running mentor with Team in Training in January to get (and keep) me motivated.  This is when I met the running coach and my mentees - the people who would hopefully keep me honest as I was keeping track of them. J. turned out to be one of the most awesome people I had ever met - and D. was not only just my speed - but also lived close to my house.  She was the perfect running partner.  As a matter of fact, we're still running together several times a week. 

I started the year with the "Run the Bluegrass" half marathon.  It was a beautiful course, a fun race - and I discovered that I actually enjoyed running once I got into about an hour or so into the race.  That joy lasted until about mile 6 or so.  After that, it was hard - and again - there was a lot of walking going on, especially after mile 12!

My most recent half marathon was the Ironhorse Half.  I actually managed a sub 3hr half for the first time during that race.  Turns out, the trick was not to keep from walking - it was to start running again.  

Running also gave me the necessary background to participate in the amazing experience that was "The Bourbon Chase".  

I'm not going to call myself a "runner" quite yet.  I'm - at best - a jogger, but I think I have an idea how good it can feel to be a "real" runner.  Maybe next year..  In the meantime, I enjoy the morning jogs with D - and the occasional runs or races with some of the new friends I have made - through running. 


Comments